Wraps and rolls are handy. They can make a one-dish snack or meal, can be packed and carried easily, or even enjoyed on-the-go. Not only that, the surprise element in wraps and rolls makes them perfect to serve to kids. A wrap or a roll is like a gift. It makes the kids guess what is inside the roti. Here is a healthy and tasty Kolkata Style Chickpea Rolls Recipe for your kids.
Recipe: Kolkata Style Chickpea Rolls
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- Chopped Cilantro
- Chopped Green Chilies to Taste
- (this depends on the heat level of your kids)
For the paratha flatbreads
- 1 cup of all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil or vegetable shortening ¾ cup cold water to mix
- Extra flour for rolling
- Oil for frying
For the filling
- 2 eggs beaten with salt (optional)
- 1 serving about ¾ cup of chickpea filling from this recipe .
- Parchment Paper for rolling
- Mix in the red onion with the cider vinegar and set aside.
- Sift the flours with the salt and rub in the oil or vegetable shortening.
- Gradually add in the cold water and mix in until the dough is nice and pliable, but not too soft. Give it a nice knead until springy. Cover for about 15 minutes and organize your work place in the meantime. The organization is important to get this working and done in a systematic manner.
- Place the oil, beaten egg and dough near the stove and frying pan. Cut 6 pieces of parchment paper, about 6- inches in size and stack neatly. Keep a clean cutting board and keep the chickpea mixture and garnishes.
- Break the dough into 6 lemon-sized balls. Place the flat pan on heat, roll out one of the circles and place on the fire and roll the second one out. Turn the flatbread and then smear with a little oil, turn and spread with some of the egg fillings if using, let the egg set, turn and add a little more oil to cook the egg.
- Place on the board, add some of the chickpea filling in the centre, add a few vinegar onions and cilantro and green chillies if using, carefully fold the edges into a roll.
Cover with the parchment paper and wrap tightly.
Also Read: Potato Croquettes with CHEESE