The average person in the US eats 137.9 pounds of potato each year. This proves that potatoes are one of the most relished vegetables in any form– cooked, fried, and boiled. The nutritious, as well as delicious food, is used in innumerable cuisines. Therefore, if you want your child to get his nutrition without being fussy about eating, the potato is your best bet. Zedua brings you delicious Potato Croquettes with CHEESE for kids that you can make at home.
Potato Croquettes with Cheese
Potatoes (boiled and mashed) 3-4 nos Mozzarella Cheeze (cubed) 1 cup Onions (diced) 1 no
Fresh red/ green chilli (de-seeded and diced finely) 1 no Cilantro (chopped finely) ¼ cup
Chat masala 1 tsp
Roasted jeera powder 1 Tsp
Breadcrumbs 4 tbsps and more for coating
Egg(optional) 1 no
Cornflour- for coating
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Boil and mash the potatoes well. There should be in lumps in the potatoes.
- Dice the onions finely, add them to the potatoes.
- De-seed the red/ green chilli and chop it finely. Add this to the potato.
- Add the finely chopped cilantro leaves to the mixture.
- Add the 2-3 tbsps of bread crumbs, chat masala, jeera powder and season with salt. Mix all these well using your hands. Check the seasoning and texture, adjust accordingly.
- Cut the mozzarella into ½ “cubes and keep ready.
- Make small balls with the potato mixture and flatten it in the centre.
- Keep a cube of cheese in the centre and close, making a ball.
- Roll well to cover all sides so that the cheese does not ooze while frying. Now, make all the balls and keep ready for coating.
- Now in 3 bowls, have cornflour, beaten egg(optional) and bread crumbs ready. (Now, if you don’t want to use the egg, make a slurry with cornflour)
- Dip the potato croquette in the cornflour coating all sides, dust the excess. Now, put the cornflour dusted ball in the egg mixture. Coat on all sides, remove and roll it over the bread crumbs. Make sure to coat the croquettes evenly. Do the same for all the croquettes and keep ready.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Add the croquettes 2-3 at a time and deep fry.
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with mint chutney or tomato ketchup.
Also read: Chilli Chapathi – INDO CHINESE DISH