Children are naïve minds and they often struggle to understand their surroundings. Kids absorb different types of skills at an early age and they master them in their life journey. Different skills like listening and speaking are some of the first ones that children learn, and the difficulty level of different skills varies. Struggling with basic skills can be a sign of a learning disability. These are invisible learning disabilities, wherein individuals struggle with reading, writing, or understanding. But it can be difficult to diagnose such disabilities as the kid can also be a slow learner. Parents, as well as teachers, need to look out for children who are not able to keep up with peers, and the reason behind it, and how a plan will help the child.
Often, teachers are the first ones to notice the learning disability in children. There are different signs to identify if the child is facing any troubles, despite the effort, the signs are not always clear. Before identifying anything about learning disability, parents and teachers should understand what exactly is Learning disability?
The term dyslexia refers to a problem with grammar and reading. The reading problem is due to the understanding of the difference between different coordination of sounds, letters, and words when put together. The learning disability also consists of problems with reading, the inability to understand the meaning of words, phrases, and paragraphs.
In dyscalculia, the ability of a child to understand mathematical concepts and implement them is affected. The symptoms are different and vary from child to child. In the initial stage of childhood, children often find mathematics difficult when it comes to counting numbers, addition, subtraction, or even recognizing or pronouncing numbers. The primary problem here would be a child’s ability to retain whatever he or she may have memorized and/or following the same sequence again.
A child’s writing abilities are affected under dysgraphia. Under different forms of learning disabilities, dysgraphia is one of the most common. Writing requires physical movement in coordination with neurological commands. The basic sign that can be identified is in writing different letters or writing one word in different ways. A child needs tender care and affection when identified with any form of learning ability. Parents, as well as teachers, have to help the child from going through the process as there is only scope or improvement and no cure. Often, children with a learning disability feel embarrassed when around children of their age. The comfort zone here plays an important role. Lexicon Rainbow, suggests different ways to how can one cope up with children having learning abilities wherein it does not limit to only parents but also teachers: –
● Educate yourself – The most important aspect of understanding a child with a learning disability is that, to gain all and every sort of knowledge related to it. Research each and everything to comfort the child perfectly. There are different kinds of treatments available currently, but not every child will accept the same treatment, here the research will come into the picture to decide upon what can help the child most. Consults and looks out for different options of treatment in order to select the perfect one. The learning ability has different developments in different stages of life. A child will always follow the shadow of a parent, what you think or do is going to reflect in the child. Understand that and implement accordingly.
● As a parent – Parents are going to be the initial surrounding children come across. A parent needs to comfort their child with a learning disability. There are limitations to the schooling system when it comes to children with a learning disability, here parents and home come into the picture. Parents need to have clarity when it comes to completing them for their children. Listening does create a safe environment for children to put forth their opinions and share their feelings. A little assurance to kids can make a positive impact on them.
● Solutions – The hurdles in the journey of children with learning abilities can be never-ending. The development of the disability can be steady yet there is always a way to find out a solution. The fact that there is no necessity of following a particular road, gives liberty to come up with the box solution. Researching about what approach different people have opted for can open a door for new and unique solutions to any kind of hurdle.
● Find the fastest absorption – It is important to monitor children when they are facing a learning disability to identify what is the fast way the child is learning. There is a varied range of learning methods such as visual learning, auditory learning, and kinesthetic learning, which can be used for a child to learn faster and easier. Every child is going to have a unique
method to learn skills, and it can also be a combination of different ways of learning.
● Lifestyle and self-awareness – to lead a healthy lifestyle, a child needs to accept his or her condition. Self-awareness develops self-confidence which plays an important role in a child’s life. The struggles a child faces can cause degrading confidence and self-doubt. Self-awareness can be bought with a better lifestyle. A better lifestyle involves regular exercise, a proper sleep pattern, and an appropriate diet. Including three basic lifestyle changes can reflect an effectively positive change.
Communication is an important aspect when it comes to understanding what children are feeling and what they want. The treatment and therapies can only work when the child is taken care of with extra affection and love. Start helping the child at home in focusing and improving their strengths. Encourage children to pursue their choices and interests to boost their confidence. Altogether, children think differently and learn differently, with the right support they can excel in their journey.
Also Read: Apply for admission to your schools at Zedua
When the pandemic hit an initial break began. Covid-19 brought along lockdown, leading to the stay-at-
The covid-19 pandemic hit in March 2020, followed by the continuous lockdown. With the pandemic escala
It’s time for some festivities! Diwali is the time for traditions, celebrations, and togetherness. A
9 months ago