COVID-19 has created a havoc globally and the main defence against it is immunity. Thus, situations like this calls for a diet that is packed with foods that play an important part in making this line of defence stronger. We have brought to you 3 healthy and delicious recipes you can make for your kids to increase their immunity. Since schools have shut down and workplaces are urging people to take work from home, the hunger pangs are going to increase and surely these recipes will make for a fun and healthy snack and breakfast time.
1. Parmesan and Spinach Pasta
Spinach is an immune boosting food packed with abundance of vitamin C and vitamin E that helps fighting infections.
- 300 gm spaghettipasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 3 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup thick cream
- 5 cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olives for topping
- ½ basil leaves for topping
- Firstly, cook the pasta in water until al dente. Drain pasta and keep aside. Reserve the water from the pasta if required to thin the sauce later.
- Now, in a pan heat the butter until just melted and whisk in flour in the pan.
- Mix the butter and the flour and let it cook for 30 seconds until the raw smell of flour goes away.
- Slowly add milk to the butter and flour mixture. Whisk continuously to form a smooth paste and get rid of any lumps.
- Let the sauce cook and keep whisking until it is thickened.
- Stir in spinach, salt and pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the spinach looks wilted.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Add cream and shredded parmesan cheese to sauce and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta to sauce and stir to coat.
- Top the pasta with olives, nuts and basil to add the more flavour to the recipe.
- Serve this yummy cheeslicious spinach pasta immediately!
2. Sweet Potato Pancakes
Sweet potatoes are a powerhouse of fibre, vitamins and minerals. They are the natural sources of beta-carotene which converts into vitamin A which is extremely useful in increasing the body’s immunity. Plus this recipe has eggs which is also one of the immunity boosting foods.
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- Bake or cook the sweet potato in the pressure cooker. Once cooked, peel and mash.
- Now, blend the mash potato, milk, vanilla and egg together to form a smooth mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the sweet potato mixture and stir until nicely combined. Add more milk if required and bring the mixture to the consistency of a pancake batter.
- Now on medium heat, pour the batter on a non-stick pan. When the top-side of the pancake starts forming bubbles, flip the pancake and cook the other side.
- Make sure that you cook the pancake golden brown on both the sides.
- Serve this delicious and the most nutritious breakfast topped with maple syrup, honey, chocolate shredding or any topping your kids like.
3. Dry Fruit Granola
Dry fruits such as almonds, walnuts, dates, pistachios etc. have vitamin E in abundance which is one of the most important nutrient to keep you stronger from the inside. You can make this granola and store in an air-tight container in a cool and dry place. This is a great power pack breakfast for you and your family.
- 8 cups rolled oats (and not the regular ready to make ones)
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1/2 raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- In a large bowl add oats and the chopped dry fruits, coconut flakes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 1650
- In a pot on the gas stove, add the maple syrup, honey, oil, brown sugar and vanilla. Bring the mixture to boil. Boil the mixture for a few minutes and it will thicken.
- Pour the hot mixture over the oats and nuts mixture.
- Place on baking sheets lined with baking paper and bake for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, stir the granola to ensure that the entire mixture gets toasted.
- When the granola is light brown, remove from the oven and add in the raisins and cranberries.
- Once cooled completely, let your kids enjoy this homemade and delicious granola with milk or yogurt and additional toppings of your choice. You can store the granola in an air tight container for 1-2 weeks.
- Healthy breakfast done right.
Try out these delicious treats and keep you and your family health, safe and strong.
Read Also – Dry Fruits Laddu | Nutritious Kids Recipe